Nigerian boxer Segun ‘Success’ Olanrewaju tragically passed away in Accra, Ghana, after collapsing in the ring during a fight he was not officially cleared to participate in.
The Nigeria Boxing Board of Control (NBBofC) revealed that Olanrewaju’s original bout, scheduled for Friday, was canceled after he failed to make weight. Despite this, he agreed to fight the following day in a desperate attempt to earn money.
The 40-year-old former national and West African light-heavyweight champion was ahead on points during his contest against Ghanaian fighter Jon Mbanugu at the Bukom Boxing Arena when disaster struck. In the eighth round, Olanrewaju threw two weak punches before Mbanugu landed a right hand to his face. Moments later, the Nigerian boxer stumbled backward, collapsed against the ropes, and fell to the canvas, leaving the crowd in shock.
Referees and his team rushed to check on him, removing his gum shield and trying to revive him. He was quickly transported to Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
NBBofC Secretary-General Remi Aboderin explained that Olanrewaju had initially received approval to fight on Friday but was ruled out after failing the weigh-in. “Segun got our approval to fight in Ghana on Friday, but he was found overweight during the weigh-in. The organizers offered to increase his purse by $500, but he refused, so the fight didn’t take place,” Aboderin explained.
The following day, while traveling back to Nigeria, Olanrewaju reconsidered. “He told his coach, Diran Alamu, that returning home empty-handed would be difficult. He had debts to pay and needed the money,” Aboderin revealed. Olanrewaju then contacted the organizers and agreed to fight for the additional $500. “This is where the Ghana Boxing Association (GBA) failed. He had no approval for the fight, but they still allowed it,” Aboderin added.
Olanrewaju’s coach, Babatunde Ojo, had strongly advised against taking a fight on such short notice. “When he told me about the fight, I warned him it was too soon. He wasn’t in training, and I told him to wait for a better opportunity,” Ojo said. Initially, Olanrewaju believed the fight was scheduled for April 1 but later informed his coach that it had been moved up to March 29.
“I told him to ask the organizers to book a flight if he really wanted to go, but they only offered a car ride, which I didn’t think was acceptable,” Ojo recalled. Despite his warnings, Olanrewaju was determined to fight. “He got the release letter but didn’t tell me. He knew I wouldn’t let him go, so he went in secret,” Ojo lamented.
Ojo expressed his deep sorrow over the loss. “This is exactly what I warn my fighters about. You don’t take fights on short notice. A boxer needs at least a month to prepare properly. Now, we have lost him. It’s heartbreaking,” he said.
Olanrewaju’s tragic death has raised serious concerns about fighter welfare and regulatory oversight in professional boxing. His passing serves as a painful reminder of the risks boxers face, especially when financial struggles drive them to make dangerous decisions.